New STZ Functional Safety Dual Input Smart HART Temperature Transmitter from Moore Industries
13 October 2015
Moore Industries has released the SIL 3-capable STZ Functional Safety Dual Input Smart HART Temperature Transmitter. Part of the FS FUNCTIONAL SAFETY SERIES, the STZ is a dependable and accurate temperature transmitter for use in Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) where dangerous processes occur.
The new STZ offers a dual sensor input that reduces process interruptions. Backup and Fail-Over Protection allows either of the sensors or inputs to be designated as the primary measurement, with the secondary input acting as the backup sensor in case of primary sensor failure. The dual sensor input also allows for Average and Differential measurements along with High-Select and Low-Select options.
The STZ also features Moore Industries’ Device Intelligence, a series of features designed for smarter control and monitoring including:
• Sensor drift and corrosion detection that checks and alerts users when the sensor is drifting out of a preset range or when the resistance due to corrosion exceeds set parameters.
• Smart range alarms with four HART alarms – set to any input or calculated input – that detect when the variable is within or outside of user preset limits.
• A High Availability option that enables the selection of how the AO behaves when there is an input failure or out-of-range value detected by the transmitter. This helps prevent spurious trips or nuisance alarms in Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS).
• Input simulation capability allowing manual input of a direct or calculated value. This essentially simulates a real input, allowing users to test the AO or any HART diagnostic and range alarms – which assists in proof test procedures.
The STZ is HART 7 compliant with exception-based reporting and dynamic variable mapping. It is HART and DTM programmable with user-oriented basic configuration for fast and accurate setup. Utilizing the HART DD, it can be configured and interrogated on the 4-20mA loop via any HART handheld communicator or HART compatible host. To prevent unauthorized or accidental reconfiguration of the STZ while it’s performing its safety function, it has an added security feature to allow users to set HART communication into a Read Only or Off mode. Users can also program or monitor the transmitter with any FDT-compliant host or program such as PACTware using the STZ DTM.
The STZ becomes the latest product from Moore Industries to join the FS Functional Safety Series line of products that have received certification from exida after rigorous evaluation to ensure conformance with strict IEC 61508:2010 standards for safety-related applications. Although using Proven In Use data is an acceptable approach per the IEC 61508 standard, designing instruments in accordance with the standard from the ground up forces the components and circuit design to undergo additional scrutiny that ensures the highest level of reliability. Approval from exida on FS Functional Safety Series products provides end users with assurance that they are in compliance with the IEC 61508 standard.
Other products in the FS Functional Safety Series are the:
• SIL 3-capable SSX and SST Safety Isolators and Splitter
• SIL 3-capable STA Safety Trip Alarm
• SIL 2-capable SRM Safety Relay Module
Find more information at www.miinet.com/uk.
Contact Details and Archive...