This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

BBC reports two missing and five injured after Cardiff steel mill explosion

18 November 2015

Two have been reported missing and five injured after a large blast at the Celsa steel mill in Cardiff on November 18, the BBC reported. Six fire crews were called to deal with a fire in the basement of the plant on East Moors Road, and a South Wales police spokeswoman said that a multi-agency operation was ongoing to locate the two people who were unaccounted for. 

Stock image
Stock image

“Five people were injured. Of these, one was treated and discharged at [the] scene and four were taken to the University hospital of Wales, Cardiff. No details are known regarding their condition,” the police spokeswoman said.

Workers at the plant told Wales Online the explosion was “very loud, deafening”. One said: “We were just in the office, we heard a huge explosion and the whole building shook. We all went to get out of the building.”

Alice Casey, the chief operating officer for Cardiff and Vale University hospital, said: “We have implemented our protocols for supporting major incidents and our teams are preparing to treat those injured.

 “We understand there has been an explosion in the bar and rod mill at the Celsa steelworks in Cardiff and the incident is extremely serious,” said a spokesperson for the steelworkers’ union Community.

There have been several previous incidents at the plant. In July 2008, an electrician carrying out routine maintenance suffered an electric shock and was badly burned.

It was the fifth serious incident in two years, reported Wales Online. In February 2008, an inquest jury returned a verdict of accidental death on a steelworker struck by a giant metal hook in May 2007.

In June 2006, Celsa was fined £3,000 and told to pay £2,000 costs in a case brought by the Health and Safety Executive after Matthew Walters, 33, lost four toes when his foot was trapped in machinery.

Celsa was also prosecuted after a worker lost a finger and thumb when his hand was trapped and crushed, in October 2006. A 41-year-old man died in hospital after a fall at the steelworks two months later. He was not supposed to be on shift and the plant was not operating at the time.

Print this page | E-mail this page