Hazardex 2017 Awards - 1. Contribution to Safety - 1D. Sasol flammable atmosphere identification methodologies
19 January 2017
Sasol has developed system methodologies for the accurate identification of potential flammable atmospheres. Identifying hazardous areas accurately is at the heart of explosion prevention. If this first step goes wrong, those to follow would also be wrong and not contribute to a safe working environment.
Sasol's system methodologies involve detailed studies per Unit, followed by inspection and maintenance systems to ensure they always compliment the safety requirements as per their intended design, protection concept and fiscal condition.
This is done to ensure the following:
• Safe work environment
• Accurate assessments
• Cost saving
Electronic development was done in the following applications:
• Calculation of zone extensions
• Methodology to follow the intention of the various code of practices
• Determination of ventilation requirements applicable to any enclosed area including battery rooms and analyser shelters
• Documented system with all traceable documents for all assessments
• Alignment with UK test house in methodology applied
• Development of a competent team to carry out such assessments
The bottom line is that these methodologies are among the best in terms of hazardous area classification studies worldwide, the very first step in ensuring a safe working environment to prevent explosions and fires.