Two people seriously injured in suspected UK gas blast
27 March 2017
Two people have been seriously injured and 30 others are in hospital after a building collapsed following a suspected gas explosion in Bebington, Merseyside, on the night of March 25. Fifteen people were taken to hospital by paramedics, while a further 15 took themselves to hospital, the ambulance service said. The two seriously injured people are being cared for at Aintree University hospital.
Merseyside fire and rescue service said the explosion, which caused several buildings to collapse, was a major incident. One building, a dance studio called Complete Works, was destroyed, with debris scattered along the road.
A number of houses in the area were evacuated and more than 100 people were moved overnight to a nearby church.
Josh Parry, of The Liverpool Echo, told BBC News said there had been a significant emergency response with about 12 ambulances and between 30 and 40 firefighters on site. He also said that there were a number of National Grid workers at the scene, and that some people said that they could smell gas in the area before the explosion.