Exploding whipped cream dispenser kills French lifestyle blogger
22 June 2017
A prominent lifestyle blogger in France has been killed by an exploding whipped cream dispenser. Rebecca Burger's death was announced on Facebook in what her family called a domestic accident. French media reported she had died of cardiac arrest after the device exploded and struck her chest, despite receiving prompt medical attention.
The fitness and travel figure was well-known in France, with some 55,000 Facebook fans and 154,000 followers on Instagram.
A whipped cream dispenser works by injecting gas into a metal container, keeping the entire dispenser under high pressure, and there have been many explosion incidents over the years.
The number of accidents prompted the government office for consumers to issue a warning, saying the accidents stretch back as far as 2010, and can occur at any time.
At least one manufacturer issued a product recall - but a year after that recall, only 25,000 were returned out of 160,000 sold, Le Parisien reported.
A photograph of a cream dispenser was posted to her Instagram account (see image), alongside the message: "Here is an example of a siphon that exploded and crashed into Rebecca’s chest, causing her death. The siphon which caused her death was sealed. Don’t use this product in your homes! Tens of thousands of the faulty devices are already in circulation."