Urgent investigation underway after second explosion at UK food factory in a fortnight
14 November 2017
An urgent enquiry is underway after a food factory was rocked by a second explosion in a fortnight. According to the Manchester Evening News, the second blast on November 13 caused a fire and a large column of smoke to rise over the Cargill plant in Trafford Park and four fire engines and support units, along with paramedics and police vehicles, attended the incident.
Cargill plant in Trafford Park, Manchester - Image: Craig Sunter/Wikimedia
A cordon was set up inside the large gated complex which employs around 300 people, as smoke, and then steam used to fight the fire could be seen billowing from one of the units at the factory for several hours. The company later confirmed everyone had been accounted for and that no one was injured.
It also confirmed the incident involved the same gluten dryer facility which was the source of an almost identical incident a fortnight ago. Company managers said they believed the facility had been made safe and described the second incident as ‘extremely disappointing’, with an urgent investigation into the cause underway.
In a statement the company said: “Cargill can confirm that there was another malfunction of our dryer at our Manchester facility causing a loud bang. No one was injured. We take the safety of our people and operations very seriously and this is extremely disappointing.
“A dedicated team had worked tirelessly to get this equipment back up and running safely, the exact cause is not yet known but we will now do further investigations to understand this issue.
“We would like to thank the fire brigade for their swift response but want to reassure the public that there is no safety concern.”
Contact Details and Archive...