Malaysian venture capitalist killed by charging mobile phone
21 June 2018
Nazrin Hassan, the CEO of a Malaysian venture capital fund, died after one of his cellphones reportedly caught fire while it was charging next to him in his bedroom. Conflicting reports attributed his cause of death to blunt force trauma and smoke inhalation, but authorities said they needed more time to investigate exactly what happened.
Hassan was the Group CEO of the Cradle Fund, a venture capital group that claims to have helped fund over 700 Malaysian tech startups. In a press release dated June 15, the Cradle Fund confirmed Hassan’s death saying “the post mortem report concluded the cause of death as being complication of blast injuries attributable to an exploding hand phone that was being charged next to him.”
That account echoes a social media message from Hassan’s brother-in-law that was circulated in local reports about the incident. According to The Malaysian Insight, the brother-in-law claims that one of Hassan’s phones overheated and exploded causing an object to hit him in the back of the head.
Previously, however, a police spokeperson told Malaysia’s Star newspaper that the cause of death was “smoke inhalation and the body being burnt.”
Selangor Fire and Rescue Department director Azmi Osman warned against jumping to conclusions. He told the Malay Mail it would be unwise to speculate about the cause of death until the electronics testing laboratory supplied the results of its investigation.