Welcome to PPTex!
31 July 2018
This, the first PPTex supplement within Hazardex, will bring you the latest intelligence on a sector that is seeing runaway growth and is likely to change the way humans operate within hazardous areas and extreme work environments.
What is PPT, and why not PPE?
Personnel Protection Technologies (PPT) are types of equipment incorporating electronic and technological systems that the user can wear, hold or use to minimise hazards at work. This includes gas, chemical, dust, radiation, temperature, noise, vibration and other detection systems, access control, CCTV and security, communications, lone worker, man-down, confined space, condition monitoring and related equipment that protects the worker in the workspace.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is a wider sector, which also encompasses protection solutions such as barrier clothing, footwear, helmets and ear defenders that, although usually designed and engineered to high standards, may not include the electronic and technological systems that are a feature of PPT.
PPE and PPT both protect staff from hazards in the workplace. This supplement is focused solely on the latter.
What is PPTex?
• A quarterly print and digital supplement to Hazardex magazine. The first three editions will be published in July 2018, October 2018 and February 2019.
• A monthly eNewsletter and supporting website portal.
• An annual Exhibition and Conference run concurrently with the Hazardex Event in February 2019, in Runcorn, Cheshire, UK.
• An annual award category within the Hazardex awards programme recognising exceptional products or services.
Why produce this media?
Following recent market research among Hazardex readers, we found that awareness of the new EU PPE regulations is very low.
The following key facts were resonant:
• The majority of Hazardex readers were unaware of the new regulations now being enforced.
• Understanding the new PPE regulations (1st), Training (2nd) and Product Information (3rd) are the top three types of information that Hazardex readers are looking for in this area.
• 60% of those surveyed are involved in the purchase of PPE equipment already (sourcing, recommending and/or final purchase approval).
• 69% of those surveyed do not regularly read any other Health and Safety or Hazardous Environment title and are not getting marketing exposure through those channels.
Who is PPTex aimed at?
PPTex will serve those individuals and companies where personnel are at risk in their working environment, typically in industries such as Oil & Gas, Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Energy, Utilities, Food & Beverage, Transport, Manufacturing and Distribution.
Like Hazardex, PPTex will focus mainly on hazardous area environments where there is explosion risk, but will also cover other major hazards in the workspace.
Who will read it?
PPTex Supplement readers and Event attendees will be: senior engineers, specifiers and buyers; heads of plant; maintenance, production and SHE managers; and C-level executives with corporate responsibility for safety.
Distribution will be to the 40,000 combined print and digital readers of Hazardex, as well as an additional 5,000 targeted recipients identified within the PPT sector not currently on the Hazardex distribution list.
Hazardex is the major publication covering hazardous area operations worldwide in the high hazard and process industries with an established and loyal audience. Extending the offer into the electronic and technological systems’ side of the PPE sector, Personnel Protection Technologies, will enable PPTex to target this sector directly and should form a key part of the marketing message for products and services.
Our editorial content includes:
• Features on developments within specific PPT sub-sectors from top industry figures
• Interviews and opinion pieces on the projects and products that define the sector
• Regulatory and legislative developments
• Technical articles and case studies about companies in the sector
• Breaking online news and incident reports
• New product information from around the world
• Industry insights and trends in personnel protection technology
…and much else.
If you are inspired by the content from this first supplement please get in touch! We welcome contributions, new product news, features and opinions from everyone operating within this sector and plan to expand coverage in the future.
PPTex Editor - Alan Franck