This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

BP fined £400,000 for 2012 Shetland oil leak

03 October 2019

On September 21, BP Exploration Operating Company Ltd was fined £400,000 for an uncontrolled release of fluids in 2012 at its Sullom Voe Terminal in Shetland.

Image: Alan Franck
Image: Alan Franck

Lerwick Sheriff Court heard that on 13 December 2012 work was being carried out by BP Exploration Operating Company employees to drain a surge relief line connected to the Ninian pipeline system, within Sullom Voe Terminal Complex. During this procedure a hose was connected to single valve on the pipe and put, unfixed, into a manhole.

After draining out the water, unstabilised crude oil at high pressure flowed through the hose, which came out of the manhole resulting in a loss of containment. This was not noticed for about 30-40 minutes. During this time approximately 3.8 tonnes of extremely flammable, unstablised crude oil spilled on to the ground.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that between 12 November and 13 December 2012 BP Exploration Operating Company Limited had failed to take all measures necessary to prevent major accidents and to limit their consequences to persons and the environment. They failed to identify and assess the hazards and risks arising from the undertaking of a non-routine job, namely the task of draining water from a drain valve on a surge relief line.

BP Exploration Operating Company Limited, Chertsey Road, Sunbury on Thames, Middlesex pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4 of The Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 1999 and Section 33(1)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974. The company was fined £400,000.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE principal inspector Greg Haywood said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply carrying out correct control measures and safe working practices. Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

Contact Details and Archive...

Print this page | E-mail this page