Five utility workers injured after arc flash explosion in US
28 May 2020
Five utility company workers were injured on May 25 following an arc flash explosion in Kansas City, Kansas. The Kansas City Board of Public Utilities workers were restoring services underground when a switch they were operating failed.
Representative image: Shutterstock
The explosion happened at around 21:00 local time and caused a significant arc flash. The hot oil content of the switch was blown out of the manhole, covering workers and equipment. All five personnel were taken to the University of Kansas Medical Center where two of the workers were released the following morning.
One worker was released on May 27, while the two remaining injured workers will be kept in hospital for a few more days, a Kansas City Board of Public Utilities statement said.
The utility company said that additional personnel took over the scene following the incident and handled the clean-up.