Gas leak at food processing plant kills one, injures another in India
09 October 2020
One person was killed and another injured on October 9 after an ammonia gas leak at a food processing plant in South Goa on India’s west coast. The incident happened in the early hours of the morning at a factory belonging to Quality Foods.
Representative image: Shutterstock
According to local news, the person who died in the incident was a worker who had been sleeping at the factory. The plant is located in the Cuncolim Industrial Estate.
A local police inspector told local media that the leak happened some time between 02:30 and 02:45 local time. Several workers woke up and managed to escape, but two people were taken ill and transported to hospital where one died.
The other injured worker is in a stable condition and expected to make a full recovery. The gas leak has since been stopped at the factory.
Police have opened a criminal investigation and could bring a case of negligence against the owners of the plant, depending on the investigation’s findings.