This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

One dead, four injured in industrial incident at Wacker plant in US

16 November 2020

A worker who was among five injured in an accident at Wacker’s chemical plant in Charleston, Tennessee on November 13, has since died of their injuries. The chemical company said that three of the injured continue to be treated in local hospitals while one worker has been treated and released following the incident.

Charleston plant - Image: Wacker
Charleston plant - Image: Wacker

According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the plant’s Communication and Executive Coordinator Lisa Mantooth said that the incident happened at around 10:15 local time on November 13 and that an investigation started immediately. Mantooth said that family members of the worker who died had been notified and that details about the incident would be shared as the investigation develops.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Wacker said an industrial incident had occurred at its Charleston site and five individuals had been taken to local hospitals. The chemical company added that there was no impact to the community or environment and its thoughts and prayers were with the injured and their families.

Wacker’s plant in Charleston has experienced several safety incidents before. In July 2020, four workers suffered injuries while performing maintenance tasks in a process building. In September 2017, an explosion at the polysilicon plant injured 13 people and released a cloud of low-concentrated hydrochloric acid into the atmosphere. Production at the plant, which opened in 2016 at a cost of $2.5 billion, was shut down for almost eight months after the explosion.

More information...

Print this page | E-mail this page