New edition of electrical safety code of practice
29 July 2010
The Energy Institute (EI) has published a new, 8th edition of the EI Model code of safe practice Part 1: The selection, installation, inspection, and maintenance of electrical and non-electrical apparatus in hazardous areas. This replaces the 7th edition (previously called the Electrical Safety Code) Read More
Model Code of Safe Practice Part 1 is an essential guide for anyone involved in the manufacture, supply, and management of certified Ex equipment used in hazardous areas. It provides up to date guidance on the selection, installation, inspection and maintenance of explosion protected Ex electrical and non-electrical apparatus, primarily used in both the onshore and offshore petroleum industry. In addition to providing a comprehensive overview of the installation requirements for apparatus certified to the EN 60079 series of standards (for electrical apparatus) and the EN 13463 series of standards (for non-electrical apparatus), the Model Code provides specific guidance on:
- Sources of ignition, other than those associated with electrical and non-electrical apparatus (e.g. fired heaters, fixed combustion engines, hot surfaces, etc)
- The use of risk based inspection (RBI) techniques for the inspection of Ex apparatus
- Earthing and bonding of electrical apparatus and systems used on both onshore and offshore petroleum installations
- Cathodic protection to prevent corrosion by electro-chemical processes
- The use of temporary electrical supplies and equipment in hazardous areas and in typical maintenance operations
- Interpretation of the ATEX 95 and ATEX 137 Directives and the associated UK Regulations.
The Model Code also provides an overview of the concepts and techniques of hazardous area classification however it should be read in conjunction with EI Model Code of Safe Practice Part 15: Area classification code for installations handling flammable fluids, which determines the size and extent of hazardous areas and therefore the selection of electrical and non-electrical apparatus.
Contact Details and Archive...