Dust explosion causes fire for food company
17 August 2011
Firefighters spent four hours at the scene of a fire that was caused by a dust explosion in a machine at Milk Specialties, in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
Firefighters spent four hours at the scene of a fire that was caused by a dust explosion in a machine at Milk Specialties, in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
The local fire department responded to a report of smoke filling up the plant in the early hours of the morning. Upon arrival, crews found heavy smoke in the factory from the first up to the fifth floor. Crews made their way to the second floor and found a fire in the vibrator fluid bed machine and adjacent duct work.
All plant personnel were able to evacuate the plant safely and fire officials worked with managers from Milk Specialties to resolve the fire.
"Milk Specialties staff did a great job in assisting us," said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Beer. "Their inside knowledge on these large machines is a great asset in the overall outcome."
The cause of the fire is believed to be a spark from the steam coil system machine that shot a spark into the fluid bed machine, creating a dust explosion.
Crews from the City of Fond du Lac Fire Department were assisted by MABAS Division 120 crews from the Town of Fond du Lac, Lamartine, Oakfield and Mount Calvary Fire departments.
Contact Details and Archive...