Pembroke refinery staff could be charged with gross negligence for fatal 2011 explosion
13 February 2012
Two employees of Valero Energy have been interviewed by police in connection with the fatal explosion at the company’s Pembroke refinery in West Wales last year, when it was owned by Chevron.
HSE and the police are continuing their investigation into the 2011 blast
A police spokesman said: "Dyfed Powys Police can confirm that on Tuesday February 7th 2012 they interviewed a second employee of Valero Energy Limited under caution at Haverfordwest Police Station in connection with the explosion at the Refinery in Pembroke, which occurred on the 2nd of June 2011 killing four workers and seriously injuring one other.
"This person was interviewed in relation to potential offences of Manslaughter by Gross Negligence. This is the second person interviewed under caution during this enquiry, the first employee of Valero Energy Limited, also interviewed in relation to potential offences of Manslaughter by Gross Negligence on the 24th of January 2012.”
The spokesman added: "This development is very much part of the continuing joint police and HSE investigation which is of an extremely complex nature, and no conclusions should be drawn from it at this stage."
Responding to the development, a Valero spokesman said: "As this refers to an ongoing investigation by the Health & Safety Executive and Dyfed-Powys Police, Valero Energy Ltd can offer no further comment on the explosion at Pembroke Refinery on 2 June 2011, when it was owned and operated by Chevron Limited.
The June 2011 explosion at the Pembroke refinery killed four workers and seriously injured another
"Both Valero and Chevron continue to provide their full co-operation to the police and HSE in their investigation."
If you would like to comment on this article, please contact:
Contact Details and Archive...