Russian restaurant gas tank explosion
17 February 2012
Twenty-three people celebrating Valentine's Day were injured when a gas tank exploded in a Volgograd restaurant. The fire took over two hours to bring under control, and burnt an area of over 500 square meters. Twenty-one restaurant staff and diners were taken to hospital. At least three suffered serious burns and remain in critical condition.
The worst-affected were flown to Moscow and Germany.
The restaurant's management has been charged with breaking fire safety guidelines.
The cause of the explosion is suspected to be a gas leak from the restaurant's heating system.
A similar incident occurred at an Italian restaurant in Moscow last month, claiming three lives.