This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Explosion and fire destroys New Zealand Olympic BBQ in London

10 August 2012

An external barbecue area at Kiwi House near King's Cross in London caught fire after gas canisters exploded on August 8. There were no injuries, and 300 mainly New Zealand Olympic fans watching their country's team on giant televisions, were evacuated amid fears of more explosions.

Witnesses said intense flames reaching nearly two storeys in height at its peak following several explosions and thick black smoke billowed into the air.

Firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control but not before it had caused extensive damage to the BBQ site, with its wood walls and tree canopy. A cordon was put around the building in case other gas cylinders exploded.

Kiwi House is described as a "haven" for friends, family and supporters of the New Zealand Olympic team.


Print this page | E-mail this page

CSA Sira Test