Explosion and fire destroys New Zealand Olympic BBQ in London
10 August 2012
An external barbecue area at Kiwi House near King's Cross in London caught fire after gas canisters exploded on August 8. There were no injuries, and 300 mainly New Zealand Olympic fans watching their country's team on giant televisions, were evacuated amid fears of more explosions.
Witnesses said intense flames reaching nearly two storeys in height at its peak following several explosions and thick black smoke billowed into the air.
Firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control but not before it had caused extensive damage to the BBQ site, with its wood walls and tree canopy. A cordon was put around the building in case other gas cylinders exploded.
Kiwi House is described as a "haven" for friends, family and supporters of the New Zealand Olympic team.
Most Viewed Articles...