Man electrocuted in Kent Marks & Spencer store
05 November 2012
The death of a man who is believed to have been electrocuted at a Marks and Spencer store in Kent was work-related, police have said. The incident happened at the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre in Calverley Road, Tunbridge Wells.
Kent Police and an air ambulance were called just after 15:30 on November 4 but the man was pronounced dead at the scene. He is thought to be a contractor called in to repair electrical equipment.
Police said the death was no longer being treated as suspicious and stressed that the cause of death had not yet been confirmed. A spokeswoman said officers were not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.
The force had initially been treating the incident as suspicious while officers worked out the full circumstances. The store was not evacuated as the scene was not in a public area of the shop, police said.
Tunbridge Wells Borough Council has been told of the incident and its health and safety officer will be liaising with police.
A spokeswoman for M&S said: "There has been a tragic incident at the store today and our thoughts are with the family concerned. "We are now concentrating on doing all we can to assist the emergency services with their investigation and as such are unable to comment any further at this stage."