This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Two rescuers die in Thai waste-to-electricity plant gas leak

10 June 2013

Two men died trying to rescue a husband and wife caught in a gas leak overnight at a power plant under construction in Yan Ta Khao, Trang province, 680 kilometres south of Bangkok. The two men, a New Zealand engineer and a Thai employee, tried to save the couple who had passed out in a three-metre wide, three-story ventilation chimney.

The couple passed out after inhaling toxic gas, suspected to be ammonia, on June 10.

The 5-megawatt power plant will be fuelled by leftover rubber and wood from toy producer Plan Creations Co, which planned to sell excess power to the local electricity authority. Both of the dead worked for Renewable Energy Plus, based in Kuala Lumpur.


Print this page | E-mail this page

CSA Sira Test