This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Indian oil refinery blast toll rises to 18

28 August 2013

THE death toll in an explosion and fire at a state-owned oil refinery in southern India has risen to 18, according to reports on August 29. The fire broke out on August 23 at a refinery owned and operated by Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd in the southern city of Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, after an explosion at a distillery unit where expansion work was taking place.

At least 30 people, most of them contract workers, are being treated for burn injuries. The condition of six is said to be serious.

According to local reports, employees at the refinery staged a protest demanding improved safety measures at the refinery, following the incident. All but one of the dead are contract workers, whilethe single HPCL employee was the manager of the unit where the incident took place.

Federal Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily said an official of the Oil India Safety Directorate had been asked to inquire into the incident and submit a report within 15 days. Local police are also investigating.




Print this page | E-mail this page

CSA Sira Test