Three killed in Saudi offshore rig incident
03 January 2014
Saudi Aramco said in a statement that the bodies of three expatriate workers had been recovered after a mobile maintenance platform sank in the Al-Safaniya offshore oilfield area on December 27. Two of the dead were Indians and the third was a Bangladeshi, the statement said.
The remaining 24 workers were rescued and taken to safety. According to reports, some of the other workers were injured and had to receive medical attention.
The company’s work has not been affected by the accident, the statement said. The company also announced that it would conduct a probe into the cause of the accident.
Khalid Alarqubi, spokesman of the Coast Guard, told Arab News that they received a report from Saudi Aramco that its platform sank about 30 km off Al-Khafji with 27 people on board.
Al-Safaniya is the world's largest offshore oilfield with a production capability of more than 1.2 million barrels per day.
Contact Details and Archive...