This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Japan governor approves Sendai reactor restart

10 November 2014

Two reactors at Japan's Sendai nuclear plant are due to become the first to be restarted in the country since the 2011 meltdown at the Fukushima facility. The governor of Japan's Kagoshima prefecture gave his approval, marking the final hurdle for the restart, which is now likely to happen next year.

Stock image
Stock image

Before the accident, caused by a massive quake and tsunami, about 30% of Japan's power was nuclear-generated. All 48 plants were shut down after the event, but the government of Shinzo Abe has pushed hard for the plants to reopen arguing that the shutdown has hurt the economy, forcing Japan to import expensive fossil fuels to make up the power shortfall.

Local authorities were given the final say on whether to restart their commercial plants. The plant's host town, Satsumasendai, had already voted in favour.

"I have decided that it is unavoidable to restart the No. 1 and No. 2 Sendai nuclear reactors," Kagoshima Governor Yuichiro Ito told a news conference on November 7. "I have said that assuring safety is a prerequisite and that the government must ensure safety and publicly explain it thoroughly to residents."

The reactors, operated by Kyushu Electric Power, will likely restart next year as further operational checks need to be passed.

In September, Japanese regulators gave the Sendai reactors their final approval saying safety standards introduced after the Fukushima disaster had been met.


Print this page | E-mail this page

CSA Sira Test