This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Baseefa Ltd

Raytheon ‘disregarded safety’ at UK plant

17 April 2015

A defence contractor and an electrical services firm have been fined after two workers suffered serious burns when working on a live electricity distribution board. The two men, who both worked for C&F Electrical Services Ltd were permanently disfigured while working at Raytheon Systems' Glenrothes plant, when a capacitor from the distribution board fell onto a live conductor causing a ‘flashover’ that severely injured the pair. 

Stock image
Stock image

Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court heard that on 5 December 2011, the two C&F employees were on site to carry out replacement work on a T3 distribution board. The two men were replacing two capacitors 12 centimetres above live conductors housed within the distribution board, known as busbars.  These allow electricity to flow through the distribution board.

The Health and Safety Executive investigation found that one of the men, who was standing on a stepladder, lifted the front edge of the capacitor while his colleague, who was standing on the floor, attempted to push the board underneath. However, the capacitor is believed to have slipped backwards into the bay, with its metal casing coming into contact with the top of the live vertical risers on the right hand side. 

That contact created a short circuit and electrical arcs between the live busbars and the earthed metalwork of the distribution board itself.  The two men were severely burned on the face, neck and arms by the flashover. 

An electrical flashover is characterised by very bright light, loud noise and exceedingly high temperatures sufficient to vaporise the metal of the live conductor. 

Raytheon Systems Limited, which is registered at Harlow, Essex was fined £24,000 after pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 14 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.  C&F Electrical Services Limited of Poplar Road, Glenrothes, Fife was fined £20,000 for admitting a breach of the same Regulation.

Health and Safety Executive inspector, Kerry Cringan, who investigated the case said: “The failure by both C&F Electrical Services and Raytheon Systems to plan the work on the electrical distribution switchgear has resulted in two employees suffering life changing injuries from an electrical flashover.

“Live work should only be undertaken if it is unreasonable to make the conductors dead and suitable precautions are taken to prevent injury. 

“In this case, it was reasonable to undertake the work while the distribution board was switched off which would have reduced the risks so far as was reasonably practicable and prevented the accident.”


Contact Details and Archive...

Print this page | E-mail this page

CSA Sira Test