Nigeria chlorine cylinder explosion kills 8, injures 101
26 July 2015
Eight people died and 101 others were injured after inhaling chlorine after a cylinder of the gas exploded at a Plateau State Water Board plant in Jos, central Nigeria, on July 25. A Plateau State Government spokesperson said: “There was excess chlorine inhalation from an exploded chlorine cylinder by residents around the Lamingo Water Board Treatment Plant.”
He added: “101 are receiving treatment at OLA Hospital, Evangel Hospital (Jankwano), Plateau Specialist Hospital and Airforce Hospital, some of which have been discharged,” the statement said. “Eight people have been confirmed dead as a result of the inhalation of the contaminated air.”
The state government said it was taking “immediate measures to address the issues of expired components of the treatment plant and to guard against future re-occurrence of this unfortunate incident”.