This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Coal mine accident may have claimed 52 lives, Pakistani officials fear

22 March 2011

In Quetta, Pakistan — Rescue workers used shovels and bare hands to dig out victims buried by explosions in a coal mine in southwestern Pakistan, and officials said they feared all 52 miners underground at the time of the accident were dead.

The workers have recovered 24 bodies after digging through one of the mine’s three wings, said Iftikhar Ahmed, a top mine inspector. The search was slowed by the presence of poisonous methane gas, which caused the explosions, and also by the fragile state of the mine, which prevented the use of heavy machinery, he said.

“We have yet to dig out and search the remaining two wings, but there is zero per cent chance we can get anybody alive,” said Ahmed. Ten of the dead miners they have found were charred from the explosion, while the others appeared to have been killed by falling debris or suffocation, said Ahmed. The bodies found so far were at a depth of about 2,000 feet (600 metres), but the mine continues down to 4,000 feet (1,200 metres).

The mine is located in Baluchistan province, some 25 miles (40 kilometres) east of the provincial capital, Quetta. The mine was declared dangerous two weeks ago, but the warning was ignored, said Ahmed. The mine is owned by the state-run Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation but leased to a contractor, he said.

Ghulam Rasool, a 25-year-old miner who spent all morning searching for victims, said the work was exhausting and hampered by gas fumes. “The mine’s wooden support has collapsed at many points, leaving huge chunks of debris blocking the way,” said Rasool.

More than 200 people stood outside the mine entrance waiting to help or hear news from the search. Most were mine workers who have friends or relatives trapped in the mine. Seven of the dead found so far were from a single family from the Swat Valley.

Ghulam Mohammad, a 30-year-old miner who was waiting his turn to join the search, said he feared for the lives of his roommates who were in the mine at the time of the accident. “None of my five roommates has been found dead or alive yet,” said Mohammad. Outside the mine, more than 20 wooden caskets were set out on the ground, waiting for victims who had not yet surfaced.

Print this page | E-mail this page