Worker suffers severe burns from electrical explosion
21 September 2011
An employee has sustained serious burns in an electrical explosion after a North London company failed to carry out basic Health and Safety checks.
An employee has sustained serious burns in an electrical explosion after a North London company failed to carry out basic Health and Safety checks
The accident occurred when the man was working on a construction site at Leonard Street, Islington. City of London Magistrates' Court heard that the explosion was caused when a main electrical supply cable to the site was cut during its removal.
The employee was working as a subcontractor on a large construction project which involved the refurbishment of three adjacent buildings at Leonard Street to include apartments and commercial use. The man, 35, from East London, worked as sub-contractor for Pineview Interiors Ltd. in Havering, London.
At the time of the incident, a 415 volt three-phase temporary electrical supply had been provided to the site. The Court heard that on the morning of the incident the worker approached his supervisor to explain that the electrical cable would need to be removed so that plaster board could be installed.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that Pineview Interiors undertook very limited enquiries as to whether this cable was in fact still live. Pineview workers then proceeded with its removal on the false assumption that the cable being described must have been one of the old, redundant cables from the pre-existing installation.
The worker climbed a step ladder with a hammer and chisel to attempt to remove the cable. After a couple of hits, the court heard that the worker recalls waking up on the floor with another employee putting flames out from the top half of his body. The man was taken to hospital, suffering burns to between 30 to 35% of his body. He has had to have a skin graft from his legs to his body and arms and it is expected to take up to two years for his skin to recover.
Pineview Interiors Limited of Rainham, Havering, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It was fined a total of £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,183.
Speaking after the prosecution, HSE Inspector Dominic Elliss said: "Refurbishment works continue to contribute a high proportion of the serious and fatal injuries reported within the construction industry. The defendant company were aware that their works within 9-15 Leonard Street would require the removal of an electrical head. They were, or should have been, aware that this well labelled system remained live at the time that they instructed their employees to commence work in this location.
"They were made aware of the intention to remove this electrical head by their employees who held no electrical training or relevant experience. The defendant company then allowed these operatives to attempt to remove the live electrical system with nothing but the most cursory attempt at seeking confirmation that the system was in fact dead.
"As a direct result of the defendant's failure to identify or control the risk of short circuit their employee suffered extensive burn injuries from the resulting explosion."
Contact Details and Archive...