This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Dynetics worker injured in Redstone Arsenal blast

18 October 2012

A Dynetics employee doing contract work at the Aviation and and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center (AMRDEC) headquarters in Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, was injured in an explosion on Opctober 14 and rushed to Huntsville Hospital, where he underwent surgery on his left hand, including the removal of some fingers.

Eric Edwards, director of AMRDEC, said the Dynetics employee was handling a "small" device in his work area when it detonated. AMRDEC and Garrison emergency and safety personnel responded and the man was transported by ambulance to Huntsville Hospital where he is being treated for his injuries.

According to Edwards, the man was at a work station when the explosion occurred. The damage was limited to the man's work area but the fire department was called and the building was evacuated after the explosion as a safety precaution, said Col. John Hamilton, Garrison Commander for Redstone Arsenal.

AMRDEC officials said the injured employee has supported AMRDEC for four years as an ordnance specialist and conducts safety training for his team.

"Preliminary indications are that the employee was operating within the normal scope of his operations at the time of the incident. Immediately following the incident, the area was secured and operations ceased. No other personnel were injured," AMRDEC said in a news release.

The investigation is being conducted by the Redstone Arsenal's Military Police and safety professionals from AMRDEC and Garrison Safety Offices. Explosive Ordnance Disposal personnel from Fort Campbell, Ky., have also arrived to assist in the investigation.

This explosion comes two years after an explosion at another AMRDEC building killed two men on May 5, 2010. The two men were working on a new process to separate ammonium perchlorate from other elements in missile fuel contained in old rocket motors. Both were employed by Amtec Corp.

The families of the men have filed lawsuits in connection with the deaths.

Print this page | E-mail this page