Los Angeles store blast and fire injures two
01 March 2013
Two employees at the Sports Chalet in La Cañada Flintridge suffered burns on March 1 after an explosion ripped through the sporting goods store, authorities said. The two injured staffers were asked to shut off a gas valve after someone reported smelling gas, according to Los Angeles County Fire spokesman Al Yanagisawa.
The explosion, which was described as sudden flash fire, occurred in the pool area where scuba equipment is stored.
The employees were treated for burns. Yanagisawa said there was minimal damage to the building.
Sport Chalet released a statement hours after the explosion, calling it a “tragic event” that was being investigated by outside agencies.
“Our heartfelt thoughts and support are with our two employees who were hospitalized this morning following an explosion outside of our La Cañada Flintridge store,” the company said. “This is the first time in the company's 54-year history that such a tragic event has occurred.”